Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gateway Trail: Vegetarians Beware!

(Unless eating bugs doesn't really count as "meat." Or, if you can bike with your mouth closed. Apparently this is not a skill I posses.)

Ride Report: Gateway Trail
Where: Trail Head at Cayuga in St. Paul to trail closed area in North St. Paul
Distance: 12 miles
Weather: Partly Sunny, 63 degrees (quite a sight better than the Tater Tour.)

As a "reward" for having to get up at 3:30 again for work... and the resulting 1:15 release time... I decided to try to get a bigger bike in today. (Tomorrow I have race #3 in my Trail Race series and I think I may beg off the biking for my body's sake.) ... (Okay, and maybe I went a little overboard with the chocolate chip mini-muffins at work and felt like I needed to burn off some major unnecessary calories.) My dad has been singing the praises of the Gateway Trail for years (as an in-line skater) but I had never been... Until today!

What a nice ride! I think my favorite part was recognizing the roads as I passed over/under them and having a mental driving map. The best part though was topping the crest of a hill and seeing the North Saint Paul Snowman! I had gone much farther than I expected.

I have mixed feelings about the fact that the trail was closed not much further along... I feel like I could have ridden more, but I was also afraid I'd get too involved and find myself in Stillwater calling for a ride back to my car.

Probably my least favorite part was the removing of various bugs from my clothing and glasses that had been crushed to death by my high velocity. (This might also rank as the most AWESOME part.)

Sock Report: Light pink and fuschia... knee-high of course.

Oh AND.... I couldn't believe I'd been biking for 28 days with a video camera. My iPod does video. I could have been sharing fabulous videos all month! Ah, well. Here's 25 seconds of riding bliss. It's like you're RIGHT THERE with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment