Friday, January 7, 2011

Neither a borrower nor a tailor be...

So one of my UFOs was a minor tailoring project. Years ago I purchased a skirt at the Guthrie Costume Sale (one of the rare objects that would fit a woman of my stature.) I wore it a few times, but it is now much too big. SO... I decided I would remove the elastic waistband and put in a zipper.

So, I took the waistband off.

And then I put it in a bag along with a zipper I found to sit in a corner of my craft room for a couple years.

SO... I finished it! First I got the zipper sewn in (in my own way, blatantly ignoring the instructions. Not too wise.) Then I realized I would need to make the waist smaller, and thankfully remembered a LITTLE bit of sewing terminology -- darts! Of course, I had no idea how to properly place or create darts. I do have a great little book, Sew What! Skirts, which gave me some direction. So I put some darts in there, and a waistband and... VOILA!

Once I put it on I realized that the darts probably should be about 2" longer, and I should have used 1/2" bias tape for the waistband.

I also realized that I am doubtful that my future lies in the tailoring arts. Another experience that makes me truly appreciate the skills of costumers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment