Saturday, July 2, 2011

Do the Du!

Today was the first training session for the Minneapolis Duathalon.

It was also beautiful and gorgeous and I happened to wake up without the aid of an alarm with enough time to get ready.

So I ate, dressed, and loaded my bike into my car. (It still weirds me out a little to just take the wheel off... I'm concerned that one time I won't get it on quite right and it'll fall off while I'm riding.) Thankfully, I had plenty of time built in, because I never did find Peace Coffee (who had agreed to let participants use their parking lot.) -- Later I would discover that I was looking in the complete wrong neighborhood, but oh well, right?)

I hopped on the Greenway right off River road.

The Greenway is Awesome. Capital "A" Awesome.

So it was about 2.5 miles in to Freewheel Bike (a co-sponsor of the training.) They are the only business to have an entrance right off the greenway! They also have a cafe and WiFi and bathrooms and lockers and showers.... AND space you can rent to store a bike, AND a Metro Transit rack you can practice putting your bike on! Freewheel is pretty sweet.

My glorious steed!
So everything was done by time instead of mileage, which I appreciated because it meant I only got passed by everyone during the transitions. It was 15min run, 45min bike, 15min run. I did about 1 mile, then 8.5 miles, and 1 mile again. Tack on the 5 mile round trip to get there and back and it was a really great workout! (And in spite of forgetting sunscreen I didn't get burned. I got lucky.)

Pineapple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. Nom.
I wrapped up the morning with brunch at the Birchwood

And now I'm a little wiped out! But in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment