Monday, July 18, 2011

Denver - It's Art!

One of the places I visited was the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver.  It looks pretty bad-ass.
  
The first thing that got me was that there were no doors.  I mean, I'm sure there's a way to secure the building, but you just walk up this concrete ramp and you're in!  (I forget that not everyone has ridiculous winters.)  I was also surprised to discover that I got $1 off my admission because I took the light rail!  Awesome!
So, the whole museum had been transformed for an exhibit called "Another Victory Over the Sun."  They had covered all sources of natural light in the museum, which I didn't think I would really notice -- but I was surprised how good it felt to be out in the sunlight.

Anyway... one of the pieces totally freaked me out.  I like to think I'm not afraid of the dark any more, but this room was pitch black and running a video of a panther (shot in black light) so all you got was angry cat noises an a flash of huge teeth.  Freaked me out. 
Spencer Finch, Between the Moon and the Sea

This was my favorite piece.  (Probably the Asian influence -- and also it didn't growl at me.)
The other surprising piece was from Juan Munoz, called Waiting for Jerry.  It was a mouse hole cut into the wall, with bright light spilling out and the theme from Tom and Jerry playing.

Crazy artists, eh?

It was a nice introduction to Denver, and it was air conditioned. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment