Thursday, May 12, 2011

One Mile!

Okay, so today's NEW was a one-mile race.

Some people may know that my experience with one-mile races is both short and traumatic. When I was younger, perhaps 10 or 12, I participated in a St. Patrick's Day Fun Run on Summit Avenue.

I came in dead last.

I like to blame this experience for my hatred of running... but I think I'd just be looking for a scapegoat.

In any case, I and a gaggle of friends decided to try our hand (feet?) at the TC Marathon 1-mile. We got a tech shirt and 1,000 finishers will be drawn at random and given the opportunity to participate in the 10-mile race associated with the Twin Cities Marathon in the fall. The weather was a bit gross... damp, a little sprinkly, and cool.

(At this point you say to yourself... wait. It's cold and wet, I had to drive and park in Downtown Minneapolis, and I'm running this just so I might be able to run 10 more miles in the fall? WTH?)

Aside from a little chilliness, the experience was pretty awesome! We all finished within about a minute of each other. One of my friends finished under 10-minutes, which is awesome for her, and I finished in 10:34! Afterward we stopped at the car for more layers, and then watched the "real" runners. Who were incredible.

The lead male runner finished in under 4:00, the lead woman at 4:30.

I'm not saying they made it look effortless, but it certainly looked like they were working a lot less hard for their 4-minute mile than I was for my 10.5.

Just saying.

Then we celebrated with delicious food at The Local, and I had the most delicious cheesecake of my recent memory.

A faboo day.

No comments:

Post a Comment