Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Final Countdown...

Today was the last long run before the Half Marathon.

Officially, it should have been a "taper" week where you take it easy since the race is coming up.  However, that is a luxury left to those who managed to stay on track with their training.  I am envious and in awe of such people, for sure.  Anyway, I decided after the big jump to 12 miles last week, that I could probably get away with something around 8 today.

To be honest, I don't know how far I actually ran today.  My goal was 8, at a pace of 15 min per mile... so I set out to run for 2 hours.  I took a nice meandering route through a lot of Como Park, through the Midway Parkway median to the State Fairgrounds, and then back again.  It was kind of pleasant.

I also made a 10-minute pit stop at ye olde Java Train for some Izzy's ice cream and water.  And that probably helped my longevity a bit.  If I think about it, I don't think there's an Ice Cream stop on the Marathon route.  I think I may need to talk to someone about that for next year.

Not that I'll be doing any Half Marathons next year.

Anyway, here are some pics I snapped on the run!

The Conservatory -- another one of those beautiful things that is so close and I never go to.

One of my favorite "behind the scenes" part of the Fair.
No, this is not what I picked for my pit stop.  But I really wanted to.
Mango Ice Cream and Water!  Fuel of Champions!
A nice pool and a gazebo... what a great place for a rest.  (Yeah, right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment