Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Spending Question...

...Can I feel good about spending $100, when I "saved" $200?

I mean, $100 is no small spending feat.  I went out yesterday to buy an outfit for an opening-night event next weekend.  I did find what I was looking for, and got everything I needed (and more) for less than $40.  I can live with that, because all I have to do is look and see that the original price of the dress was $60... Suddenly all that other stuff I got was almost "free!"

It's all about shopping the sales, I know.  I love clearance racks, and honestly have to be in a pretty serious situation to buy something at full price.

Partially I think this is because I work in retail and I have an idea about how markup works.  When it gets to be super-sale time, and a store is offering everything it owns for 50% off or more -- I know that it's still making enough in profit to keep their doors open.  And if that's the case, how can I ever pay full price?  The markup must be ridiculous!

So, yesterday.  $100 in purchases, $200 in savings.  I never would have spent $300 in the first place, but there was definitely a part of me that feels better about what I did spend.

It's a retail trick that works on me... and as more retailers decide to print that "You Have Saved: ______" on the bottom of the receipt, I guess I'll be feeling that way more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment