Monday, May 12, 2014

Cheerwine: a North Carolina Classic


Okay. Today we're going to talk about Cheerwine.

Back before this opportunity was even confirmed, I started planning all the regional things I had to do/eat/drink. For North Carolina, it was Cheerwine.

From the Cheerwine website:
Created in 1917 in Salisbury, North Carolina by a general store owner named L.D. Peeler, this singular soft drink with a hint of wild cherry and a bubbly effervescence became an immediate hit. Folks from all around the county came to LD's store to give it a try.

Soon cold cases all over North Carolina were filled with the "Nectar of North Carolina." It was known to put a smile on everyone's lips who gave it a try, and the Legend was born.
The kicker is that you can't find it everywhere. I snagged this bottle from a vendor at the 7th Street Public Market. At the time, I picked the glass bottle for its added nostalgia. After the fact, I learned the glass bottle version is sweetened with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup. Win!

Anyway, this is totally my dream beverage. Part cherry soda, part cherry cola... sweet and not overly carbonated, it's a rich experience. And it was SO GOOD.

Cheerwine will ship its wares anywhere in the country -- but I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Update 5/20/14: I just found Cheerwine ice cream bars. Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment