Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Great Day of Freebies!

One of the first things I was told to see in Atlanta was the Cyclorama. What is a cyclorama, you might ask? An amazing 360-degree oil painting. It took 11 master artists over 2 years to complete, and it depicts the Battle of Atlanta. If it was laid out, it would be 42 feet tall, and 358 feet long. (Think football field!)

It was amazing. AND when I went to buy my ticket, I was told it was complimentary thanks to the Atlanta City Council. What a great start to the day!

Yeah. That's a cannon.

My second stop for the day was the Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts. I never thought I'd get to visit it, so this was a big deal! As I was paying for my admission to the museum (I had decided not to stay and see 'Charlotte's Web' - the current performance) a woman was getting tickets for her group, using vouchers they'd won from their library. They had an extra and she asked if she could leave it for someone else to use, since they weren't.  Then she turned to me and asked if I was planning on going to the show! SO - I got to go for free! (I still gave my admission price as a donation.)

Star struck!!! The Center is planning a major expansion
that will house a huge donation of puppets from
Jim Henson's family. Guess I have to come back.

 At the recommendation of the Jumps (the nice family
who bought my admission) I went to the Varsity for lunch!
It's billed as the world's largest Drive-In... and it was tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment